Sunday, November 06, 2016

#DIY: A Starbucks Halloween!

Hello guys! So as you guys might have seen, I dressed up as my favourite Starbucks drink for Halloween - a Non-Fat Sugarfree Vanilla Frapp...

Hello guys!

So as you guys might have seen, I dressed up as my favourite Starbucks drink for Halloween - a Non-Fat Sugarfree Vanilla Frappuccino!
And James was a barista. If I were pretentious enough I could tell you that I got James to dress up as a barista because it is symbolic to our relationship and that he is the one who made me into the person I am today. However, I am honest enough to tell you that I put James in that outfit because I figured he might say not to anything which was more hassle than putting an apron on.
Anyway, just in case it's your lifelong dream to dress up as a Starbucks frappe, here's how you can go about doing it...

#1 Get all your materials ready.

Here I have, from the bottom left hand corner in clockwise direction, green and white felt, a pair of scissors, double-sided tape, fabric glue, thread, scotch tape, H&M dress, printout of Starbucks logo. So the most expensive thing here is the dress. It costs $12.90. But that's okay. If you buy it together with a tank top, then you get them at 2 for $20. So you know, $2.90 discount.

#2 Make the Starbucks logo.

So I guess you could stick a printout onto the dress, but paper is flimsy and I didn't want to rip a hole in my logo before I finished prancing around in my dress. So here's how I did it - I stuck a paper printout onto green felt and painstakingly cut the Starbucks logo out.
It's harder than it looks because you need lots of patience and. Which I have. I just choose not to exhibit this quality in social settings because most people are silly and don't deserve being tolerated. But cutting out a Starbucks logo to stick on an outfit that I'll only wear once? Totally worth it.
(Via Giphy).

Anyway! Mount your cutout onto a piece of white felt, and secure it with fabric glue. 
Then you're ready to stick your Starbucks logo onto your dress!

#3 Make the whipped cream.

Okay to be honest, I don't really care much about whipped cream. I don't like the taste and they say that it makes you fat. But! I do agree that drinks with whipped cream on them look much better than drinks without. Just take a look at the drinks below. 
(Via Starbucks).

The one on the left looks like a bald guy who forgot his wig, and the middle one looks like a snooty bitch who thinks that she's above everyone at a party. But the one on the right however, looks like the fun girl who knows how to make a conversation sparkle.
(Via Giphy).

Yes, I just personified the food. I used to take literature. Get used to it. Anyway, I made some whipped cream for my dress because I wanted to look like I could make any conversation sparkle. 
(Via Giphy).

To do that I cut circular discs from the white felt. I made the discs roughtly the same size as the logo. Roughly. After a while I just didn't care. Anyway! After you have cut them out, you can roll the discs into cones and stick them together using the fabric glue. It's tedious work, but not as bad as making the logo.

You need a lot of felt to make the whipped cream. I went to Daiso to get $6 worth.
Me, my Daiso felt, and lots of felt cones.

#4 Assemble your dress.

After you have made $6 worth of Daiso felt cones, you have to sew them onto your dress. You have to sew the ends of the cones to the fabric of your dress, and then sew the edges of the cones to the edges of the adjacent cones, or your whipped cream will look floppy. (I'm serious, try it and you'll see what I'm talking about).

So this takes a while...
But you'll get there eventually. Don't worry! Persevere and you too, will be able to have your very own toilet-selfie worthy Starbucks costume.

#5 The Barista.

So you have a fantastic DIY outfit but you know what they say, it's the accessories that make the outfit. And I had decided that my accessory was a barista named James.

So here's what you need to make your own barista apron. Buy a green apron. I got mine from Lazada for $6. And wow. It's now on sale and going for $4.90!
(Via Lazada).

And then I cut a smaller logo from the felt (again, very painful process), and stuck it onto the apron. I  also got out the Starbucks name tag and pins that I got from the Starbucks Tote Bag Set and stuck all of them onto the apron. Being a tote bag junkie comes in useful at times!
(Via Starbucks).

And voila! That's how we got our outfit!
Note: it's a good idea to stock up on Starbucks paper bags before October begins. I learnt that Starbucks introduces their Christmas range in mid-October so all Starbucks outlets islandwide started giving out their Christmas-themed paper bags (which are more red than green). I had to go around the office begging for old Starbucks paper bags.
(Via Giphy).

So yes! That's how we got our Starbucks outfits. I make chocolate penis bananas and also Halloween costumes. Epitome of domestication.

Anyway, here's a video. Usually I end with a trashy song, but this video is too good to not be shared.


Cheers!
❤ Jac.

You Might Also Like

0 comments