Thursday, August 11, 2016

[PS4 Game Review] No Man's Sky

Hello guys! A lot of things have happened over the National Day weekend, but I thought I'd just talk about the incredibly cool stuff f...

Hello guys!

A lot of things have happened over the National Day weekend, but I thought I'd just talk about the incredibly cool stuff first. You see, I got a media preview of the newly released PS4 game "No Man's Sky" yesterday, and I thought it would be good for me to show off that I got it before everyone else did.

Yeah sometimes I have no shame.


And here's what I think (so far).
Don't laugh ok. I used some online software to make it in my enthusiasm to share it with you. Do you know how long it takes to erase backgrounds? Very long.

So let me tell you about No Man Sky. It's very educational, and I've learnt a lot from it so far. For example, No Man's Sky prides itself on being "a science-fiction game set in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy".
And this seems very intimidating, like you have to be a physicist with multiple doctorates to understand. But it's okay! It means that the game universe is not fixed, and is built on what players discover and upload along the way.
In order to have lots of things for players to discover, the game has 18 quintillion planets available. Quintillion. That means that there are 18 zeros with that. Did you know that?
(Via Giphy).

So the game is all about exploring and information sharing. It's quite exciting because you can travel to different systems and planets and gather information about each one. Information that you gather can be uploaded to the Atlas and made available to other players in exchange for units (NMS' in-game currency). And with 18 quintillion planets, you are most likely the first one to discover a system, planet, plant, or animal. Being the first is always good.
(Via Reddit).

AND. Because you are the first to discover this entity, YOU CAN NAME IT. Like look at this creature I discovered. I named it "Bouncy Castle". Because it bounces.
James said I was very creative. I think so too. I also have my own system called "Jac's System". I've already planned all my system names. The game will house Jac's Nervous System, Jac's Digestive System, Jac's Muscular System, etc. That's right, I'm pouring my whole physical existence into the game.

You also need to go around and learn different words along the way, build your way up to learning a complete language, and then later, more languages. You also earn awards along the way, which makes the experience all the more rewarding.
You also get awards in recognition of the distance that you've travelled.
Yeah that's mainly for your own personal vanity. But going back to my original point on No Man's Sky being a educational game, Remember those maths problem sums that we used to get in school? The ones including complicated number patterns which came at the back of papers? 

WELL. Good news. Your world class maths education system can finally come into play. There are these places known as "Observatory Terminals" which reveal places of interest which can be uploaded to the Atlas. But you first have to unlock the terminals by entering the final digits of a number sequence.
Simple enough. Oh but if you're the kind who likes more violence in games, don't worry. You can still shoot and destroy drones along the way. 
You're also supposed to be able to have "Epic Space Battles", but I haven't reached that point yet.
And for those of you who have been very passionate about catching Pokemon, well, you can satisfy your collectors' obsession by collecting elements which can be stored in slots in your exosuit and spaceship. Later on you can use these elements to like, craft Carite Sheets from Heridium and Zinc. 
So far, I've crafted lot so Carite Sheets to fix my spaceship. But I crafted microdensity fabric and bypass chips. Speaking of chips, I feel like eating Pringles.
(Via Imgur).

So that's pretty much how the game works. One minor point of contention I have about it though, mainly I concede, due to my selective OCD and control queen persona, is that I want everything to be MINE. I want to collect EVERYTHING. I want to name everything MY WAY. I want to be the first to reach EVERYWHERE, But I can't. Because it's an open system. Life is hard for the selfish soul sometimes.
(Via Giphy).

Another problem that I have with this is that I want to mine everything and keep everything that I mined but my exosuit runs out of slots very quickly so I can't collect everything I want all at once. It's like my wardrobe dilemma all over again.
But apart from those two points, good game! And also I would leave you with some music video playing the soundtrack of No Man's Sky, but the trippy music playing in the background comes under the genre of "math rock". 
Math rock is a rhythmically complex, often guitar-based, style of rock music that emerged in the late 1980s, influenced by progressive rock bands like King Crimson and 20th century minimalist composers such as Steve Reich. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), counterpoint, odd time signatures, angular melodies, and extended, often dissonant, chords.
Yeah and this means that the band, 65daysofstatic, who wrote the soundtrack is too indie to put up a mainstream video. But you can listen to them here if you really want to. Anyway, here's a mainstream music video from the pop music genre.



Ok, updates on my life next post!
❤ Jac.

You Might Also Like

0 comments