Thursday, October 22, 2015

[PS4 Game Review] 3 Reasons Why I Didn't Really Like Tearaway Unfolded.

Hey guys! So you do remember that I have a PS4 right? No? Well here! Let me show you a picture of me and my PS4 to remind you again then. ...

Hey guys!

So you do remember that I have a PS4 right? No? Well here! Let me show you a picture of me and my PS4 to remind you again then.
More here.

Anyway the great people at Sony presented me with a little something from the developers of LittleBigPlanet. Presenting Tearaway Unfolded!
And also my face. I was told by a friend that there are very few girls who review games and I must milk my feminine features and winning smile for all it's worth.
(Via Sharegif).

So for those of you not familiar with the game, Tearaway Unfolded is a remake of the PSVita game Tearaway. So here's what it looked like before...

And here's what it looks like now!
The most obvious difference is of course, that you can now play Tearaway on a bigger screen. However, the premise of Tearaway remains more or less the same. It's about a messenger who tires to deliver messages to "the You" of the player. The aim of the game is to try to enable the messenger to ensure the successful transmission of the message to you (or The You in gameplay terms). And you do that by overcoming your enemies, otherwise known as Scraps. This is a Scrap making life difficult for an Iota (male messenger).
(Via Wikia).

And the ratings for Tearaway Unfolded have been really good, I know. But I didn't really like it. And here's why...

#1 The characters look creepy.

So here's how the characters look like...
I know, I know! How whimsical! How cute! But actually this is what they remind me of.
(Via AXN).

The same staring, vacant gaze, the same limited, awkward movements...
I can't. Paper models should either be sold to Pixar and converted into lovable 3D cartoons, or made into tiny balls and thrown into the bin. Sorry. I have my moments. But I guess the problem is, I'm only human. And they are not. And I've watched enough science fiction to know that allowing inanimate objects to have a life of their own can only lead to the destruction of mankind.

So animated paper figures with limited facial expressions? Not my type of thing.

#2. My drawing is not that great.

So one of the very cool features of Tearaway Unfolded is that you can download the Tearaway app for a second player to customise the Tearaway Universe with their own wild designs and real-world images as you play.
 You also get tasked to draw things along the way, which you know, also requires some form of creativity.
And it's not that I can't draw a butterfly wing. I can! But I'm extremely particular and OCD about how my drawings look. And this is how I became so competent at photoshop. I CANNOT TAKE THIS MESS OF LINES OF UNEVEN WIDTHS AND LENGTHS.
(Via Buzzfeed).

So me drawing freehand on an app without the whole PhotoShop spectrum of a few million colours? I can think of a gazillion other positions that I would rather be in.
It also helps that I'm more flexible than artistically inclined.

#3 I quite like newspapers.

Well, as you can probably tell, I really like reading newspapers. Which makes it upsetting when you find that the basis of the bad guys in the game, or "Scraps" as they call them. I like newspapers! Why are they made the bad guy here?!!!
(Via Wikia).

And they move really awkwardly as well.
(Via Wikia).

If it was up to me, I'd make the bad guys something I don't like. Maybe one of my ex-es or something. But then my game would be too traumatising. That's why I'm not a game developer I guess.

Don't get me wrong! The game itself is pretty awesome, and it has received tons of amazing reviews (8.1 on Metacritic, 7.6 on IGN, 8 on Gamespot). And the game comes with plenty of cool features such as the integration of the DUALSHOCK® 4 into the game, like how shining your lightbar on the screen will literally light the way for the messengers.
Or your controller will vibrate upon catching gifts that are flung at you.
Other new features which make gameplay a more immersive experience such as the unleashing of powerful gusts of wind just by swiping on the touch pad. It's really quite impressive.
Also as I was mentioning earlier, there's an app which you can download so that your friends can kpo and customise your gaming environment with their own drawings, pictures, and even photographs.


Which can be quite fun if you're the kpo person messing around, probably not so wonderful if you're having to deal with random plants and drawings popping up when you're trying to complete the quest. (Read: be the one with the app, not with the controller).

So yeah, Tearaway Unfolded is available in stores now! The Standard Edition can be bought at a discounted price of SGD $46.90 which comes with an initial bonue of two costume packs of the pop-up pack and the torn-away pack.

And now I will leave you with the following song. Because you know, Tearaway,


Cheers! 
❤ Jac.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hahaha. I've played the vita version and I enjoyed the storyline. I noe what u mean abt the expressions of the characters and the whole drawing thing though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah ikr! it's a good game but you know, sadly just not my kind of game i guess!

      Delete