Saturday, August 30, 2014

Hello Kitty is not a cat.

Hello Kitty guys! So you might have heard the latest news - Hello Kitty is not a cat. (Via The Verge ). According to Sanrio, who...

Hello Kitty guys!


So you might have heard the latest news - Hello Kitty is not a cat.
(Via The Verge).

According to Sanrio, who inexplicably kept mum on this (I would think) quite important fact since Hello Kitty's first appearance in 1974.
"Hello Kitty is not a cat. She's a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She's never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature. She does have a pet cat of her own, however, and it's called Charmmy Kitty."
It's so strange. If you wanted people to assume that she is a girl, you wouldn't give her cat like ears, whiskers, and you know, a name like "Hello KITTY". How deceiving. I was very upset and hurt. I mean, you've heard of the duck test...
(Via someecards).

Or it could be an actual duck of course. But anyway, this whole Hello Kitty saga got me thinking of some other names that don't make sense to me. And here are some of them...



#1. Commonwealth Secondary School.

Throughout my primary school life, I was led to believe that the Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE) were the most important and crucial part of my entire life. I thought that the secondary school I went to would determine the rest of my life and that nothing would be more difficult than the PSLE. Oh how wrong I was.
(Via Quick Meme).

Anyway, some 14 years back, you weren't able to select your choice of secondary schools after the PSLE results came out. You had to do that before. And so the strategy was, to put schools with higher aggregate scores in front, and schools nearer to your homes at the back. So you know, if you didn't get into the school of your choice at least you wouldn't have to travel across the Atlantic just to get to school.
(Via Meme Center).

I live in Buona Vista. The MRT stop after Buona Vista is Commonwealth. So I thought, "Hey! Maybe I can put Commonwealth Secondary School as my 5th or 6th choice." But no I could not. Because you see, even though the first word of the name Commonwealth Secondary School is in fact "Commonwealth", the school is not located anywhere near Commonwealth MRT station. It's in West Coast, 7.1 km away. Which is a lot considering that our island stretches 50 km across. 



So I'm really confused as to why they called it Commonwealth Secondary School because clearly, it's not in Commonwealth at all.

#2. Tanglin Secondary School.

Another secondary school that I was thinking of putting down as one of my choices was Tanglin Secondary School. Why? Because my mother used to bring me to Tanglin Mall a lot. I like Tanglin Mall.
(Via Tanglin Mall).

So I thought, "Hey, maybe I can go to Tanglin Secondary School!" So I flipped through the Secondary School Selection booklet to look for a "Tanglin Secondary School". Which I found by the way.

Looked like a nice place and the uniform seemed decent. You know what the one flaw of this school is? That's right! It's not located on Tanglin Road. Or Tanglin Halt even. It's located in...West Coast.



Yes. So at the tender age of 12, I concluded that the Ministry of Education needed to work on it's naming of schools because clearly they were confusing and not reflective of their locations. And meanwhile, I also discovered that there is no "West Coast Secondary School'. Maybe MOE can consider shifting Commonwealth Secondary School to Commonwealth, Tanglin Secondary School to Tanglin Road, and build a West Coast Secondary School in West Coast so that the people living around the area still have a place to go to. What do you think of my proposal?
(Via Quick Meme).

#3 Buyong Road.

Okay so, whenever I'm in the Plaza Sing area I will look out for this Street Sign that says "Buyong Road'.
Okay, maybe there is some traditional/cultural/ancestral/mythical/historical background to this name, or maybe it's in some weird language which I'm not aware of and that Google Translate cannot auto-detect, but you know, I speak Chinese. So my first instinct is that "Buyong" means "不用" or, "no need". So um, 'no need of road". Why is there a road there?! Either have a road and call it "来用 road" to encourage usage, or not have a road at all! Was this "Buyong Road" meant to be part of some kind of psychological test to see if pedestrians would be more adverse to crossing a road that's labelled "不用"? Or was it built in anticipation of the dawn of flying carpets which really never took off and hence the numerous carpet shops in the area?
(Via Quick Meme).

I guess we'd never know.

#4. Snoop Dogg.

Moving away from local context - Snoop Dogg. What's up with your name. I mean, I love you, I think you're really cool and sometimes I think what my life would be like if I married you. But, I'm sorry - you're truly not a dog.

But you know who is actually a dog? Snoopy. Now Snoopy's a true dog. No question there.
(Via Twitter).


OMG. Revelation: Maybe Snoop Dogg loved Snoopy as a child. And so he adopted "Snoop Dogg" as a stage name in reverence to his childhood idol, Snoopy the Dog.

#5. Snoop Lion.

I guess being called "Snoop Dogg" for several years caused Snoop Dogg to evolve into a more canine version of himself.
(Via Rolling Out).

He must have then realised how mainstream he was becoming. So he decided to change his name to Snoop Lion instead. DUDE. This is a lion. A Lion King.
(Via Stuff Point).

And this is not a lion. Just a man in furry headgear.

Sigh what is life. I really don't understand.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading my posts on names which don't make sense. I will leave you off with this very good song which I used to like singing. It's about names of course (well, sort of). Take a look!



Cheers,
❤ Jac.

You Might Also Like

0 comments