Sunday, June 09, 2013

Why The 1960s Rocked.

So some of you may or may not already know the news - that I'm a finalist in the Singapore Blog Awards ! In the What-The-Hell category n...

So some of you may or may not already know the news - that I'm a finalist in the Singapore Blog Awards! In the What-The-Hell category no less. I don't know how this happened, but thank you Carrie (vote for The Cambelles!) for nominating me. Though I really must say, I'm a bit perplexed by the category you nominated me for, judging by the kind of intellectual, thought-provoking content that I never fail to post.

Anyhow! One of the challenges for SBA 2013 is to write a post on the 1960s, anything on the 1960s. By the 9 June 2013, 2359 hrs. Well guys, I'm currently in Morocco with very spotty internet (I am writing this on my travel itinerary in the backseat of our car, and there are some donkeys outside the window), and I touch down in Singapore slightly less than 5 hours before the deadline. So if you're reading this in my blog, IT'S TIME TO BRING OUT THE CHAMPAGNE Y'ALL!!!

But back to the topic at hand. I don't know much about the 1960s to be honest. So, I tried to Wikipedia for a solution (as I do for many important things in life such as for goats in trees, answers to my old homework assignments, your birthday). But as it turns out, this strategy doesn't always work and I wasn't able to locate a readymade award-winning blogpost on the 1960s on Wikipedia. *damn*
(Via someecards).

All I discovered after a cursory reading was that former President of the United States John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. FUN FACT! Jacqueline (aka me), was named after JFK's wife, Jacqueline Kennedy. Jacqueline (me, not the wife) was supposed to be named "Elizabeth" but her auntie convinced her mother than "Jacqueline" was (and still is) a more fashionable name. #truth.

Anyway! I have decided that I will blog about the Top 5 events which happened in the 1960s that I'm thankful for. While staring at yet another donkey. It's very strange how inspirational these donkeys can be, especially since all they do is stand around and do nothing.
(Photos stolen from Titus and Sam).

So, here goes!

1. THE POPULARISATION OF THE BIKINI
(Via rolfbridalia).

So, what would life be without bikinis? I don't know, but I imagine that it would be very tragic indeed. Instead of us girls prancing around Sentosa in our flip-flops and barely-theres, we would have to contend with steaming in the sand in um, I don't know, basically too much clothes for our own good. Like these beach babes right here.

Fashionable for that era, I'm sure. But seriously, how beneficial would those get-ups be for our tans? So 1960s, thank you for turning the bikini into acceptable beach wear. Thank you Beach Party for this. I promise that I will read up on you and find out more about this show. In fact, here is a trailer of the movie for everyone to watch right now.

You know, as I'm eternally grateful for the show's creative direction and conviction to go against societal norms and showcase the greatness of the bikini for the world to see. I love you, and so does the rest of the male population, I'm sure.

2. THE BIRTH OF J.K. ROWLING

I owe a great portion of my life to one person who was born on 31 July 1965, and she's none other than J.K. Rowling. If you don't already know her/aren't already familiar with her works, then its time to re-evaluate your life and ask yourself some important life questions like, "Who am I?", "What is life?", and "Why am I reading Jac's blog when I could be reading Harry Potter?"

Harry Potter, if you haven't already heard, is the single, most powerful series of books ever written. I have been following the series since the first book came out in 1997 (OMG I was 9 then. I'm old.). I have of course, read all the books in the series, watched all the movies, and also found great joy in visiting the Harry Potter Studios in London last year!
And I'm not even the craziest fan out there. I'm quite confident that many of you are wayyyyy more fanatic over Harry Potter than I am. In fact, your behaviour might resemble some of these guys over here!
(Via M&C).
(Via Japan Today).

It's okay. Don't feel bad. It's okay to harbour deep feelings of affection for fictional characters I guess. Better to be obsessed over wholesome things like Harry Potter as compared to, I don't know, LSD and other drugs.

And you know, you can never get as bad as this guy right here.


Anyway, the exploits of Harry, Ron and Hermione have so far been the only tales which have driven me to purchase a hard cover on the day the book came out, and it takes a very special series to be able to do that. Their adventures have kept me well-entertained for many years and I thank J. K. Rowling and her wonderful gift of storytelling for that (I wanted to put imagination but you know, many of us are dellusional).

Meanwhile guys, add me on Pottermore. I'm OakQuest27.
(Via Planet Print).

3. THE LAUNCH OF ARPANET

Speaking of obsessions, I'd like highlight a very important event which happened in 1968, which is otherwise known as the launch of the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network or ARPANET. (Hey what do you know! Acronyms were in even in the 1960s!) Anyway this world's first operational packet switching network is the grand daddy of my best friend, soul mate, and most trusted companion, the internet.

If you are reading this right now, I'm sure that the internet needs no introduction. I mean, logic dictates that the less WWW-inclined use the internet for its more boring important roles. Like, booking flights and all that jazz, instead of you know, reading a blog which has a slogan "I hope you like frivolity".

But seriously, the WWW, coupled with OpenNet/4G/3G/broadband, or if you really must, *ughh* dial-up, is the invention of the MILLENNIUM. I mean sure, you can argue that it is the cause of our generation's fixation to our electronic gadgets, what with our constant need to refresh our plethora social media channels. But still! What better way is there to get constant updates on important news items such as the H7N9 virus, the Isreali-Syrian conflict, and who Kim Kardashian is sleeping with now Google stock prices if not for RSS feeds and Twitter??
(Via Toondoo).

Our generation is fuelled by a constant stream of terabytes of information, and I readily admit that my life depends on it (my Singapore life that is. I recently learnt during my trip to Morocco that I have more pressing needs such as food, water and warmth when my life is at stake. Read the condensed versions here and here.).

So thank you for the clever dudes at Licoln Labs who created ARPANET so very many years ago. Thank you for enabling anyone to access vaults of information at a few taps of a keyboard (I always feel "touch of a button" is an exaggeration), and forever changing the way that people interact.
(Via Shoebox BLOG).

4. THE RISE OF HIPPIES
(Via Kampat).

Wikipedia, where all things are true, also highlighted that the hippie (or hipster) culture hit the world by storm in the mid-1960s. Yes, we know the stereotypical quirks of the hipster culture, of their use of hallucinogenic drugs, their crazy love-ins, and their waaaayyyy too chill attitude.

But! I have found some important parts of the hipster culture which have transcended time and permeated communities from NYC to Tokyo. Let me enlighten you. Please just imagine what life would be like had the hippies not developed the peace sign in 1967. How would these Kawaii girls pose then???
(Via LumDimSum).

The Kawaiis would have had to acquire a different pose. Oh, the horror.

On a more serious note, have you heard enough the latest Instagram stats? Well, here.

Each of us social media addicts has a tiny hipster living in the corner of our brain, dictating how each Instagram shot should be framed and advising us on which filter to use I'm order to get the best "I am effortlessly taking wonderful photos vibe". Here! See some of the works by my tiny hipster. His name is Cloudy McLoving.
So thank you 1960 hipsters for going against the norms and doing what you believe in. You have evidently made a huge impact on the photography landscape on terms of channel and subject positioning. Because of you, I have one more social media channel to distract myself from awkward encounters in the elevator, and for bestowing a signature pose onto the Kawaii girls. Thank you for that. Yes.

5. SINGAPORE'S INDEPENDENCE

Lastly, I would like to say how very thankful I am for how much our nation has come since independence in 1965.

Like, really. We have modern plumbing, well-paved roads and escalators. In Morocco, most toilets are just a hole in the ground, you are lucky if the road has asphalt, and we went to a shopping center in Fes. It has maybe four levels and there would be a bottleneck at each escalator because people were scared to get on. There were security guards stationed at each escalator to help people get on and off and people were taking photos with the escalator as it was a big attraction. I felt a bit mean because of my amusement. (But not to worry, I demonstrated that escalators were nothing to be afraid of my stepping onto each on like a pro. OWNAGE.)
(I have yet to sort out my photos - will update with my own once I do.)

But I digress (sorry, I'm now on the plane to Singapore so everything in my brain is still Morocco). I think its important to appreciate how very cosmopolitan Singapore is. Life can be hard when your internet speed sucks, or when you cannot pass level 165 of Candy Crush (I have since passed it, FYI). But, we have skyscrapers, water that is drinkable straight from the tap, and shops that stay open 24/7. I firmly believe that grocery shopping at 1 am is very therapeutic. Just ask the auntie working at the NTUC near my house. Or the Sheng Shiong auntie. Or the Shop N Save auntie. Or the Cold Storage boy. All these people are surely familiar with me waltzing in in the wee hours of the morning to buy nonsense like plasters and essential stuff like Coke Light.

But I digress. I love Singapore, thank you for achieving so much in such a short period of time. I love modern things and technology and thank you for enabling me to live the lifestyle that I want to (More or less. Sort of. Can't complain).
(Via Freepik).

So! I have come to the end of my blogpost on the 1960s. I did not realise what a happening time the 1960s was. Previously, I thought that the 1980s was the world's most happening period. You know, because that was when I was born and all. But now I know I may have been wrong. I shall do some research and decide on that. Maybe. Someday. Perhaps. Probably not.

BUT ANYWAY BACK TO THE POINT. I hope you've enjoyed reading my post on the 1960s and please vote for me for SBA 2013! I promise you lots of love in return. And whatever I can think of after I rid myself of this holiday hangover.
Cheers!
❤ Jac.

You Might Also Like

0 comments