Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The importance of being (not so) timely.

Hello! So we all know that punctuality is a virtue because it's something that has been inculcated in us since we started school aeons...

Hello!

So we all know that punctuality is a virtue because it's something that has been inculcated in us since we started school aeons ago (for me). You know, that we must reach school on time everyday and all that jazz. Although in hindsight, being late when you were in primary school would be more of a reflection of your parents' punctuality rather than your own. Why they bother to get the prefects to book latecomers is beyond me. Poor latecomers. Schools should consider imprisoning the parents of latecomers instead or sending their kids to detention. Who knows? They might even like it.

"Justizzentrum Leoben or Justice Center Leoben is a court and prison complex in Leoben in Styria, Austria, With 205 inmates, the prison is fully booked. Damn, my school was worse than this prison. Irony?"
(Via Izismile).
But I digress. Do you have any friends who are constantly early? I mean like, early. Like they arrive at the location a good one hour before the time you're supposed to meet and then they force you into a conversation which goes something like this...
Irritating friend (IF): Hey! I'm here already! Where are you?
Good Jac (GJ): Huh? We're meeting at 1 pm right?
IF: Yes but I woke up early so I decided to come down early! Where are you?
GJ: In bed.
IF: STILL?!
GJ: Yes. It's a Saturday. Usually I sleep till 3 pm.
IF: COME NOW. I'M WAITING.
(Via We Know Gifs).

I don't even know where to start.

Firstly, while I applaud you for being a rebel and going against the norms to wake up early on a Saturday morning, I need to inform you that regular people such as myself like to sleep in. We like to maximise the time spent in our beds. Sleeping. In fact, most of us just like sleeping a lot. Like pandas. In fact, if I had a choice, this would how I would spend 28 hours of my day.

So please when I say I am sleeping, I expect you to give me an envious reply, coated with just the slightest tinge of jealousy. Like don't you use that judgmental "STILL?!" reply on me. In a fair and just world you would be in therapy for waking up so early on a Saturday.

Secondly, be responsible for your own actions. Let's say we're supposed to meet at one and you turn up at twelve. This is really your fault for turning up so early. The onus is on you to entertain yourself while you await my royal arrival. Why must you call me, wake me up, annoy me, judge me, and force me to go down earlier just because you couldn't manage your time properly?! I really don't understand this. Anyway, you should have seen it coming. I'm sure you're all familiar with the idiom "the early bird catches the worm". WELL, NEWSFLASH. WORMS SUCK. DEAL WITH IT.

Thirdly, I don't see why you must be so irritating and bug me at twelve when we said we'd meet at one. If you're there early then cool, drop me a nice text saying that you're there early in case I happen to be early to. You really don't have to call me and make it sound like it's my fault that you're waiting there alone. You're early, you're not supposed to be there. But even if you're there early, I'm sure you can entertain yourself. This is Singapore and not Siberia1. There are McDonald's and Starbucks and even 7-Elevens open for you to enter and make friends with the waiters/cashiers/baristas. And I'm sure you have a phone. Use it. I have always said that my patience for waiting lasts as long as the battery on my handphone. And even that is extendable.
I realised I have issues only last night when this friend asked me,"How come everytime I see you you're charging your phone??" My phone battery was at 83%. I was uneasy.
So really, why don't you just play Candy Crush, Scramble with Friends or even find Wally while waiting? Why must you resort to rushing me?! It puts me in a bad mood and causes me to dread meeting you. Which would mean I would turn up late. And then you'd have to wait even longer. If this is happening to you now, STOP TEXTING ME. NOW. I will come I promise. Just sit there and wait. And find Wally while you're at it.

But I guess I can't always fault people who turn up really. I imagine that meeting me must be the highlight of your day week month year life. So I guess it is sort of understandable that you're impatient and dying to see me. Sigh. Sometimes I forget the problems that the little people face.
(Via Flickr).

But to recap, I have no problems with people who are punctual. Or even people who are mad early. Just you know, leave my presence out of your early schedule and we can still be friends. Being early is over-rated. So the moral of the story everyone, is to maximise your sleep and stop hassling the people who are trying to be punctual.

❤ Jac.

1You may be interested to read my post on Siberia. It's very good and engaging.

You Might Also Like

0 comments