Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WE HIT TURBULENCE!

Hello! Happy new year everyone! Firstly, I'd like to share a video of one of Steve Aoki's (I touched his hair and also held his fi...

Hello!

Happy new year everyone! Firstly, I'd like to share a video of one of Steve Aoki's (I touched his hair and also held his finger!!!) songs.




PLS IT IS SUCH A GOOD SONG. I've heard it in the clubs but never knew what the title of the song was. As you know, it has no discernible words and the "PREPARE FOR TAKE OFF" could very well be mistaken for "BAKED POTATOES". (seriously it is what I misheard it as). 

Anyway, Bernard picked me up the other day and was like "OMG. listen to this song." And then he spent 5 minutes scrolling through his nano to find it. And I was very excited when I finally heard okay. This is like a wonderful song and I love it so much. AND NOW I HAVE IT ON MY COMPUTER. ON LOOP.

Anyway pls let me show you what we did this new year.
WE MADE THIS WONDERFUL SIEW YOKE! ME AND MY MOTHER.

So as you can probably tell, it turned out rather well so now I am a self-declared expert on making siew yoke. Let me teach you how to make it.

1. So first you have to buy a damn disgusting slab of pork belly. You see?

IT IS SO FAT. LOOK AT ALL THE LAYERS OF DISGUSTING FAT. Also it is quite gross as you still can see the hair on it.
2. After you buy your slab of fat pork belly and gotten over the gross factor, you SLATHER IT IN SALT. Coarse salt. And really, be liberal.
You see? Even if the fat doesn't scare you, the likelihood of getting hypertension after this surely will.

And then! You put it in the oven/turbobroiler. 250 degrees for 2 hours! And then you can put it on high heat until you are satisfied. Ido not know for how long. Until you are happy I guess? That's what I did. It took me yu shang and some wine before I was happy with it. So maybe you can eat some yu shang and drink some wine before stopping it.

So anyway here is my siew yoke in the turbobroiler waiting to get grilled.
And this is how it looks like after 2 hours! PLS IT SMELT SO GOOD.
Also you might want to flip it over to ensure the bottom is grilled as well. And then flip it back to grill it a while longer to make sure the skin is crispy. How long does it take? I do not know. Until you are happy I guess. Or until it looks like this.
AND THEN YOU FLIP IT AROUND AND GRILL IT FOR ABOUT 5 MORE MINUTES AND VOILA!!!
The perfect siew yoke.

Also the fat slab of pork belly cost $18 while one strip of siew yoke costs $7 if you buy it from wherever. So what everyone should do it to buy the pork belly and make your own siew yoke. MUCH MORE EXCITING AND SO MUCH CHEAPER.

The end! Happy new year everyone!

♥ Jac

You Might Also Like

0 comments